Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 3: Assignment#1 Practice Stage 1 Design using Common Core State Standards in ELA-Reading


 
Stage 1 – Desired Results
Established Goals:
CCS Standards: Reading – Informational Texts
RI 6.3 – Analyze in detail how a key individual, event, or idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text (e.g., through examples or anecdotes)
RI 6.4 – Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings
RI 6.6 – Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text and explain how it is conveyed in the text
RI 6.7 – Integrate information presented in different media or format (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop a coherent understanding of a topic or issue
 
Students will understand …
·         Key individuals, events, timing and ideas on the subject
·         Author’s point of view through reading
·         Author’s intended meaning of his/her words and phrase by analyzing  about the word’s context
·         The subject more in depth by integrating information from different media such as video, internet research, picture and text, etc.
 
 
 
Essential Questions:
·         Can you summarize the story with answers of What? Who? When? Where? How?
·         What are the true meaning of the words or phrases that author used in the book based on the text that comes before and after it?
·         What is author’s point of view and how can you tell?
·         What other sources of information or media we can obtain more information about the topic?
 
Students will know…
·         Anecdote is a brief story about an interesting event.  Author might use examples and anecdotes to introduce special ideas or events to let reader have better understand
·         Words can be used in different ways, for different meaning, depends on how author writes on the word’s context
·         The definition of Figurative meaning, Connotative meaning and Technical meaning
Students will be able to …
·         Analyze how key individuals, events, or ideas are developed throughout a text
·         Use variety of strategies to determine word meaning
·         Determine author’s point of view and able to explain how it is conveyed in an information text
·         Gather more information using  variety of media for a coherent understanding of the topic
 

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you did this. After seeing yours, I see how I could really improve mine. The detail is very good. Looks like you've done this before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that for the established goals you could just use the standards that were given. Guess I wasted time coming up with my own based on the standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your post on stage 1 of the backward design, I was having trouble understanding it but you definitely helped me understand it better. Like Lisa, I didn't know you could use the standards that were given. Your essential questions will definitely help students to get the important ideas of the lesson.

    ReplyDelete